Friday, October 26, 2012

The Family

Hi all and Happy Halloween. OK so it’s a little early to say that but I’ve got to think ahead these days. Unfortunately, as I’m getting to the end, all I can do is look back. This last weekend, we held the last regional meeting I would be attending in Huancayo. Since it was mine and Alex’s last regional meeting, it served as a bit of a farewell party for us. And our little group of 9 volunteers had a great weekend in spite of the goodbye atmosphere.  

For all I write about my projects and Peruvian culture, I don’t think I’ve ever taken the time to explain to you how our region works. I often mention going to the capitol for our meetings to relax and speak some English. Peace Corps Peru operates with the idea that volunteers who work within clusters are happier, more supported and more productive. So we are placed in to these clusters but depending on the region, the distance between two volunteers can be between 5 minutes and four hours apart. And a region can have any number of volunteers. One area of Peru is home to about 40 volunteers from all programs that are all fairly close together. In our region, we are nine people and the two closest volunteers are about 15 minutes apart while the two furthest volunteers are about 8 hours apart! As one of the smallest and probably the most dispersed regions of Peru and composed of entirely environmental volunteers, it makes sense that we would be a tight-knit group.

And we are. Particularly, the four of us who arrived together two years ago: Reilly, Leslie, Alex and I. They are the three sisters I never had and each one has supported me and challenged me to grow in different ways. We got to know our new realities together and then as seasoned pros welcomed the rookies with open arms. We’ve…

Smiled and laughed… 

…cried, hugged…

Cooked…




 Camped…


Worked…




Vacationed…


 …and raised many a glass together.


So it is tough to realize and recognize that our memory-making streak in Peru is going to come to an end. The small group of people who come together once a month in Huancayo has become my close-knit, environmentally active, volunteering family.  


So now, there are only 17 days left for me living in this Laraos and there are zero days left in site for the closest volunteer to me both physically and emotionally, Alex. Just this morning, I gave her the last hug goodbye I will be giving her in Peru. To help her with her exodus, Matt and I made a little visit to Tomas. Though I don’t know what we were able to do for her since we were pretty much just hanging out. I think I learned a little bit about what it is going to be like for me in a couple of weeks. So the girl who has been by my side for the last two years is on her way back to the USA and will be arriving the 1st of November. I will miss her but I will be right behind her.

These next couple of weeks are going to be crazy, I can tell. Time will continue to fly as it has been and before I know it, I will be packing up all of my things and saying my own goodbyes to Laraos with tears in my eyes. But for now, it’s just a simple “see you later” to my fellow volunteers.






Blessings.








1 comment:

  1. :( goodbyes are always sad! I remember saying goodbye to you when you graduated high school. and then when you graduated from america. and let me tell you, my friend, saying goodbye to you SUCKS because no one ever wants to!

    But, despite my empathy for this stage of your life coming to an end, i am quite ready to say hello to you again :)

    also, my favorite picture from this blog was your 'working' picture. jajajajaja.

    ReplyDelete