Thursday, September 16, 2010

Away We Go


Hi all. It is now the night before we leave and I am sitting on my bed in a hotel room in Washington DC trying to get in some last minute phone calls and updates. Today is what they call 'Staging' and it is a one day intensive meet and greet and learn more about what you are getting yourself into. There are talks about logistics, anxieties, excited anticipations and general Peace Corps information. By far, the best part of the day were any of the times we had breaks or were encouraged to mingle and chat with our fellow Peace Corps Trainees. It is really encouraging to see people from all sorts of backgrounds and with varying interests come together because they agree on the mission of the Peace Corps.

We leave tomorrow from the hotel at 7:30 a.m. and by 9:00 p.m. tomorrow night, we will have landed in Lima. We then have an orientation retreat for two nights and one day and meet our host families on Sunday. I can only say that I'm hoping there are children because then I can make the same mistakes they do and we can learn together. Today is when I really began to appreciate what I was getting into. I stopped being anxiously excited for it and began to be appreciative of it and genuinely pumped for the reality that I am a part of an organization that really makes a difference in the communities it serves.

The next time you hear from me, I will be writing from Peru. As you read these postings of mine, please be sure to post comments or drop me a line. I like to hear from you as much (if not more) than you like to hear from me; I'm sure of it. So please leave a comment, send me an e-mail or post a letter in the actual mail. Thank you for your encouragement and love during the preparation and for continuing it now that I am in action. Your support is invaluable. Much love.


5 comments:

  1. Welcome to Peru. Hope you had a good trip and am waiting to hear more of your "adventures". Love You, grandma Batson

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you've officially entered my prayer book (you know, the one you colored brown?) This is nate by the way, I totally remembered maggie's password to her google account so i'm totally using it.

    Today in church we sang Blessed Be Your Name, and i was missing all the sweet harmonies we did when we sang that together, so IMMEDIATELY after the song ended I sat down and got my journal out and said "Pray for Laura Ferguson. Blessed be the name of the Lord"

    Miss you muches
    adios

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate here again, I have this burden on my heart and I feel that this specific blog is the place to share that burden. Maggie is such a great sister and I don't know where I would be without her. She smells of fresh wild flowers that have just been cooled off by the mist of a roaring waterfall. Her wisdom is that of a 80 year old philosopher and her laugh sounds like the joyful commotion of...puppies. And she told me how she misses you, Laura, and how she prays that the Lord will guide you in everything and that he will provide you with a solid community of friends.
    I like Maggie, I probably shouldn't say this online, but Laura Z. and I are going to name our first child Maggie.

    Love,
    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    Yes, I am now an official follower of your blog! (I've long been a follower of your many adventures.) I also just signed up for Facebook (what? what is this week in Texas doing to me?). Looking forward to living vicariously through your blog posts. I love that Maggie and Nate are keeping you in their prayers (see above). Dad and I are too.
    Enjoy your host family and all the adventures you are embarking on.
    Awaiting further blogs!
    Te amo mucho,
    Mama'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,
    I'm so excited to see your pics and read your stories. I'm very envious of your adventure with the Peace Corps. I hope it's everything you are hoping it will be. Know that I'm thinking of you.
    Peace & love,
    Aunt Heather

    ReplyDelete